–Eric Bischoff and Dusty Rhodes are in the booth and they are live from Dayton, Ohio. Since this is the night of The Great American Bash tonight’s broadcast functions as the pre-show. Rhodes is in complete hard sell mode, telling fans that if they are going to buy anything in their lives, they must buy the pay-per-view.
– Last week on SMW TV… The contract is signed, and the stipulations are confirmed: The Fantastics defend the Tag Team Titles against former Champions, The Heavenly Bodies, where there will be No DQ’s, and the winning team takes home $20,000, courtesy the bank account of Mama Cornette. Oh, and Jim Cornette’s tennis racket is barred from ringside… The Dirty White Boy continues to be a fighting Champion, drawing “Nitro” Danny Davis’ name from a hat and barely getting by him after using a foreign object. Paul Orndorff and Ronnie Garvin still hate each other and are threatening to cripple the other with a piledriver. In the TV Main Event, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express and Stud Stable fought to a Double Disqualification, prolonging their rivalry.
– Last week on SMW TV… The saga surrounding Brian Lee continues, as we found out there’s a $10,000 bounty on his head, as well as a second attack from the mysterious (and yet to be named) Mongolian Mauler… Jim Cornette offered $10,000 of his mama’s cash for the Fantastics to give them their rematch ASAP, but was turned down… Paul Orndorff and Ronnie Garvin wrestled another non-finish with the Piledriver as the center-piece of the match….The Dirty White Boy is offering a title shot to anyone who wants one, except Tim Horner, because he doesn’t deserve it, obviously… The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express and Stud Stable are on a collision course and scheduled to meet this week.
– Last time on SMW TV, we covered the “Fire on the Mountain” Super Card that took place on August 8th, 1992 from the Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City, TN. It’s been a while since we’ve covered some Smoky Mountain Wrestling. In the last recap I published, I noted there might be a delay in the follow-up episodes due to Hurricane Irma, and yes, for a couple of weeks, I did lose electricity, and doing recaps was the furthest from my mind. At the same time, I found out my fiancée and I were expecting our first child together, and suddenly my time to watch wrestling has dwindled. I continued to do projects elsewhere, but the coverage of SMW went quiet… until now. Due to unpopular demand, we shall pick up where we left off, almost 16 months ago, as we cover the fallout from Fire on the Mountain. Hopefully another natural disaster doesn’t interfere with things.
–Eric Bischoff and Bobby Heenan are doing the commentary. These Worldwide tapings were done on November 1, 1994 in Orlando, Florida. Heenan puts over the attractiveness of Sister Sherri and warns WCW Champion Hulk Hogan to be on the lookout for Big Van Vader.
– Last week on SMW TV… The “Main Event” of The Batten Twins vs. Dixie Dy-No-Mite and Danny Davis was immediately interrupted by a scuffle with The Fantastics and Heavenly Bodies… Paul Orndorff and the Dirty White Boy aren’t scared of Ron Garvin, but Mr. Ron Wright isn’t as confident… Brian Lee continues to be a fighting Champion, easily vanquishing Paul Lee… Jimmy Golden pinned Robert Gibson under dubious circumstances, so they’ll rematch at Summer Blast… Buddy Landell and Tim Horner have incorporated a leather strap into their feud, and are also on a collision course for Summer Blast…
– Last week on SMW TV… The Fantastics defeated The Maulers to advance to the Finals of the Tag Team Championship Tournament, and that’s pretty much it. The rest of the show was a recap of the entire tournament leading up to that, with highlights from the other five matches already featured in the tournament. The Volunteer Slam is now only two weeks away!
– Last week on SMW TV… The Heavenly Bodies defeated Danny Davis and Joey Maggs to advance to the Tag Team Tournament Finals… The 1st Round of the Heavyweight Championship Tournament at Volunteer Slam has been announced: Brian Lee vs. Buddy Landel, Dirty White Boy vs. Dixie Dy-No-Mite, Robert Gibson vs. Jimmy Golden, and Tim Horner vs. Paul Orndorff… The toxic relationship between Dutch Mantel and Carl Stiles continues… Bob Holly squashed Bart Batten in what turned out to be the former’s last SMW appearance.
– Last week on SMW TV… “Primetime” Brian Lee pinned Dutch Mantel to keep his spot in the Volunteer Slam Championship Tournament, despite a pre-match attack by the Dirty White Boy… For Heaven’s sake, Jim Cornette once again failed to deliver footage of his team, and yes, I ripped the joke off from the comments section, so thank you Danny Omega. Armstrong ruled his team must appear this coming week, or their removed from the tournament… Dixie Dy-no-Mite debuted and might have the most annoying wrestling name to type on a regular basis… Tim Horner, the Dirty White Boy, and Killer Kyle were all victorious in showcase matches (my fancy word for “enhancement” opponents).
– Last week on SMW TV… The Tag Team Tournament began! Jack Victory and Rip Morgan advanced to the Semi-Finals, defeating Johnny and Davey Rich… Jim Cornette brought a camera crew to meet his new team at Hooters, but that didn’t go as well as planned. He also had a limo driver named Herd… The Fantastics revealed Tommy Rogers as their mystery partner, but wouldn’t you know it, both Ivan and Vladimir had wives going into labor at the same time, switching the advertised Main Event (the Koloffs didn’t appear at the taping, so maybe transportation or last-minute booking issues, rather than classic bait-and-switch).
– Last week on SMW TV… After weeks of hype, the Tag Team Title Tournament is upon us, or so we hope… Mr. Ron Wright introduced us to his new protégé, the Dirty White Boy… Tim Horner used his White Lightnin’ to defeat Rip Rogers in a solid Main Event… Jim Cornette has promised to deliver a video of his new Tag Team… Killer Kyle squashed Jerry Lynn in a match that would mean more to Indy darlings in the following years… The Koloffs and Jimmy Golden had a warm-up match for their anticipated battle with the Fantastics and a Mystery Partner… There’s no truth to the Bob Holly/Julia Roberts scandal.
SMOKY MOUNTAIN WRESTLING TV – February 8th, 1992
Taped: October 30th, 1991; Memorial Auditorium; Greenville, SC
– Last week on SMW TV… Lots of faces were introduced to the viewing audience! Robert Gibson is here, but not Ricky Morton, Tim Horner and Brian Lee look like they’ll be positioned near the top of the babyface depth chart, and Bobby and Jackie Fulton posing as the Fantastics will be the top babyface tag team… From the heel side of things, Jim Cornette is promising a new tag team that will rival the Midnight Express in terms of success, Killer Kyle looks like he was made from the same mold as Big Bubba Rogers, and Ivan Koloff is here, along with “nephew” Vladimir (a poor man’s Nikita Koloff)… Commissioner Bob Armstrong made a point to say that rules will be followed or fines will be handed out like water… The Black Scorpion arrived and lost to an unknown enhancement talent… Color Commentator Dutch Mantel picked a fight with Brian Lee over the latter’s performance in a match against Barry Horowitz… Legendary Ron Wright, confined to a wheel chair, is looking for someone to manage to pay for his hip and knee implants (his words!).