Morning boys and girl. For all the talk that goes on here about HHH, Flairs A+ credentials, Montreal, Invasion, and some jobber named Chris Walker, it’s rare that we ever discuss one of the few real game changers we’ve ever seen…Mr. Steve Austin. He’s a personal favorite of mine, so I’m gonna give him some dap and go to him for our “what if.”
What if Stone Cold never returns after his broken neck? It seems like with the passing of time, the severity of Austins neck injury is really forgotten. Things to consider…
– The Austin “rise to prominence” timeline: Austin wins KOTR/debuts “Austin 3:16” June 23, 1996. Austin/Brett submission match: WM 13, March 23, 1997. Austin breaks neck: Summerslam, August 3, 1997. Austin wins first WWE title, WM 14, March 29, 1998. Also, WCW would beat the WWF in ratings every week from June 17, 1996 to April 6, 1998.
– Does Austins loss force Vince to keep Bret due to the lack of depth on top?
– Who fills his spot? If Shawn goes away after WM 14 with his back injury, does WWE have ANYONE who can headline at that point?
– Does Vince ever fully transition to the Attitude Era philosophy without the perfect babyface to usher it in?
– Does WWE ever get out of the financial doldrums they were? If not, do they collapse or fall back into a regional promotion?
– Was Austin so crucial to the rejuvenation of the WWF, that losing him enables Turner to kill the WWF?
Just some food for thought. Go in any direction you like.
** Random sidebar of the day** I’ve got another 2 weeks off from the E.R., and am trying to find a good tv series to watch. Any suggestions? I’ve seen Oz, The Wire, Sopranos, Homeland; Breaking Bad, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Parks and Rec. through completion at some point in my life, so please avoid those.
** Also, how fucking awesome is this guy…