What the World Was Watching: WCW Main Event – November 5, 1995

With no pay-per-view afterward, Main Event is back as a studio show with Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan.

Heenan says that the Dungeon of Doom will recruit WCW Champion Hulk Hogan’s friends and turn them against him.

In a Chris Cruise-hosted World War 3 Control Center, it is announced that Sting and Ric Flair will face each other on the show.  Flair gives a promo where he says they will have a big showdown that will settle their old scores once and for all.  Bunkhouse Buck and Colonel Robert Parker also cut a promo for the World War 3 battle royal.  Buck says that he has heard about World War 3 for a long time and looks forward to being in it.

Schiavone accuses Heenan of being part of the Flair-led conspiracy against Sting.

Heenan tells Hulk Hogan that if he does not want the Giant to be walking around with the WCW title that he should take it from him.

WCW re-runs the Alex Wright-Dean Malenko match that aired earlier in the week on WCW Prime, where Wright defeats Malenko via reverse decision and Chris Benoit and Malenko do a beatdown on Wright and Eddy Guerrero, who makes an ill-advised effort to save the young German.

Schiavone asks Heenan about Sonny Onoo and the sale of time on WCW Pro, but Heenan is reluctant to talk about the subject.

The Last Word:  Many fans did not watch WCW Prime so the feature match was new for them, but if you did watch Prime then you had little need for this show.

Backstage News*:        Before it heads to Japan for a series of co-promoted supershows, WCW is taping WCW Pro and Worldwide at Disney MGM.  These episodes will air over the next thirteen weeks and will feature a lot of New Japan talent to build to Starrcade.  Masa Saito was reportedly upset that Kensuke Sasaki was doing entrances with the United States title, which he is booked to win against Sting in Japan, and did not want any photographs being taken to spoil the title switch.  WCW regulars like the American Males also complained about jobbing to Japanese talent since many of the Japanese stars have submission finishers.

*Fans were not happy with the October 30 Monday Nitro in Dayton, Ohio because five of the seven advertised matches did not take place.  These included Sabu (with the Sheik) wrestling Eddy Guerrero, Johnny B. Badd against the Disco Inferno, Alex Wright against Brian Pillman, and Harlem Heat defending the WCW tag team titles against Sting and Ric Flair.  Those matches were scuttled either due to injuries – in the case of Wright and Randy Savage, who Guerrero replaced against Sergeant Craig Pittman – or turns that took place at Halloween Havoc – which affected Sting and Flair.  WCW thought of turning Flair in the scheduled match instead of at Havoc, but the company changed its mind.  No refunds were given, with WCW noting that advertised cards are subject to change.

*WCW is going to hot Starrcade in Nashville.

*In talent relations news, WCW might sign Tito Santana, Sergeant Slaughter, Rick Martel, and the Iron Sheik to participate in the World War 3 battle royal.

*Backstage news provided courtesy of Dave Meltzer’s Wrestling Observer for November 13.

Up Next:  WCW Monday Nitro for November 6!