Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: January 7, 1983 (taped 12/25)
Hosted by Bill Mercer
Will Adams retain the American title and give Sunshine some Precious time? Who will be banished from Texas for a year? A Freebird or Kevin? And who will join me for more WCCW holiday goodness?
David’s that quite profound, but the RSG-ites were probably expecting a quote by George Orwell. Can you hold on a minute whilst I apologize for the confusion?
While I would love to throw some Orwellian wisdom into my reflections, this is pro wrestling. It may appear that Vince McMahon has created a totalitarian wrestling empire, but has it silenced anyone?
Match 1: Jose Lothario versus Black Gordman
- Gordman knocked him from the ring, but Lothario climbed the turnbuckles and delivered a Mexican arm drag.
- When Lothario leap-frogged Gordman, he followed with a back elbow.
- Lothario then used psychology with more back elbows, and when Gordman eventually charged, Lothario evaded him. Consequently, Gordman flew out of the ring.
- As Gordman hip-tossed Lothario, Santa Claus appeared and looked like he finished off his milk and cookies along with some brandy.
- Sorry, Chester.
- Lothario nailed Gordman twice and delivered a fist drop.
- After Lothario knocked him silly, Gordman clumsily fell out of the ring.
- Upon regaining his bearings, Gordman returned and applied an abdominal stretch.
- When Lothario escaped, Gordman hip-tossed him for 2.
- Gordman attempted another hip toss, but Lothario countered with a backslide.
- Lothario won.
Summary: Even for 1983-84, this was OLD school.
After the match, Gordman continues to fight until Lothario nails him with a left hook sending him down to the concrete floor.
Back in the locker room, Mercer interviews Kevin and Mike. Kevin hypes Mike’s abilities to hang with the Freebirds and vows to return the Freebirds back to Atlanta.
From the heel locker room, Gordy and Roberts cut a promo on the Von Erichs. Roberts removes his wig stating not only is his hair coming back but also Michael Hayes.
Match 2: Kevin & Mike Von Erich versus Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy & Buddy Roberts
- If the Freebirds win, Hayes returns to Texas, and Kevin must leave Texas for a year. If the Von Erichs win, the Freebird who suffers defeat must leave Texas.
- Gordy attempted a cross body block, but Kevin ducked.
- As Kevin delivered his own cross body block, he got 2.
- Roberts tagged in, but Kevin dropkicked him.
- When Mike tagged in, he leap-frogged Roberts and landed a dropkick.
- Roberts shook off Mike’s side head lock, but Mike dropkicked an unsuspecting Gordy in the corner.
- After Mike shoulder-blocked Roberts, Gordy put a knee into his back. SNEAKY!
- Gordy tagged in and slammed Mike.
- As Mike attempted a cross body block, Gordy caught and guillotined him on the top rope.
- Interestingly, Santa Claus reappeared at ringside.
- Roberts tagged in and hit a swinging neckbreaker to Mike.
- When Gordy tagged in, he slammed Mike again but missed a pair of elbow drops.
- Hot tag Kevin.
- Kevin then reversed a cross corner whip and slammed Gordy.
- After he leaped to the top turnbuckle, Kevin soared but came up empty on a cross body block.
- Gordy then applied an oriental spike, but Kevin climbed the turnbuckles to escape.
- As Kevin applied an Iron claw, Roberts made the save then ate a dropkick from an incoming Mike.
- With all four wrestlers in the ring, Roberts tossed Mike over the top rope to the concrete floor.
- Referee Bronko Lubich must have been counting his Christmas bonus because he didn’t acknowledge it.
- Regardless, the Freebirds double-teamed Kevin while Santa Claus nailed Mike on the concrete floor.
- Oh, it’s Michael Hayes under the disguise. How clever!
- Meanwhile, Gordy suplexed Kevin, but Mike dropkicked Kevin atop Gordy.
- Although the camera didn’t catch it, it appeared that Gordy knocked Lubich OUT COLD. I’m not sure if he also swiped his Christmas bonus, but I wouldn’t put it past him.
- Nevertheless, Kevin earned a false pin on Roberts until Gordy intervened.
- David Manning sprinted into the ring to replace Lubich, and Kevin hooked a sunset flip on Gordy.
- Kevin and Mike won, and Gordy MUST LEAVE TEXAS for a year!
Summary: Unfortunately, trying to hide Mike’s inexperience wasn’t a strategy during this match because he looked lost at times. Otherwise, the flow of the match was hot, and the outcome generated a huge ROAR from the Dallas faithful.
Wait a minute! That’s just silly. Let me fix that!
After the match, Hayes, still dressed as Santa Claus, enters the ring and sucker-punches Mike. Kevin removes the wig to reveal Hayes. When Gordy grabs Kevin, Hayes piledrives Mike. Welcome to pro wrestling, Mike! Hayes then scampers back to the locker room while Kevin maintains an Iron claw on Gordy. To even the odds, Kerry storms the ring to check on his fallen brother.
Manning grabs the microphone and reveals Lubich’s decision—Kevin over Gordy. The Dallas faithful erupts while Kerry and Kevin brawl with the Freebirds. A standing dropkick by Kevin sends Roberts flying while a discus punch from Kerry ejects Gordy from the ring. To close the segment, Kerry and Kevin check on an injured Mike.
Back in the locker room, Mercer interviews Adams, and Sunshine is ready to destroy Precious.
Afterward, Garvin with Precious cuts a promo. Garvin reassures Precious that he’s got everything under control.
Match 3 for the NWA American title: “Gentleman” Chris Adams (champion w/ Sunshine) versus “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin (w/ Precious)
- If Adams wins, Sunshine gets five minutes with Precious.
- Adams blocked a hip toss and provided Garvin with one of his own.
- When he dropkicked Garvin twice, Adams hooked a sunset flip for 2.
- Garvin reversed a cross corner whip, but Adams leaped to the second turnbuckle.
- As Adams missed a cross body block, Garvin got a 1-count.
- He then suplexed Adams for 2.
- After Adams leap-frogged him, he monkey-flipped Garvin.
- Off-camera, Adams delivered a superkick that sent Garvin between the ropes to the concrete floor.
- Adams then clotheslined a BUSTED OPEN Garvin and got 2.
- When Adams hit a belly-to-back suplex, he got another 2.
- He then slammed Garvin, followed with a leg drop, but couldn’t get 3.
- As he mounted the second turnbuckle, Adams missed a fist drop.
- Adams then blocked a slam and executed an O’Connor roll for 2.
- While Garvin used momentum to roll through, he pulled Adams’ trunks.
- WE HAVE A NEW CHAMPION!
Summary: While the Von Erichs all gain victory on Christmas, Adams loses his title, and Sunshine loses her opportunity to get Precious. Pass the egg nog, ‘cuz this one stings.
After the match, Sunshine pleads with referee Fred Sinclair to no avail. Suddenly, Precious takes down Sunshine by the hair, and a catfight erupts. Sunshine gets the better of the scrum and tears Precious’ blouse. Nonetheless, Garvin and Precious hightail it backstage victorious.
Conclusion: Garvin regains the American title albeit nefariously. For a brief moment, Sunshine got her hands on Precious, so I don’t see that feud ending anytime soon. Gordy gets pinned, so he must join his “brother” back on Badstreet USA. Hayes’ hijinx as Santa Claus was a nice touch, but he should have waiting until he got in the ring to turn on Mike. What are your thoughts, Diamond Dave?
Apt for pro wrestling, Dave. Thanks. I must also offer my apologies. Last week, I promised a bonus match with this reflection. However, upon previewing next week’s show, the bonus match is included there. Keep your knife and fork handy, ‘cuz it’ll be meaty.
TV Rating: NONE
Stay tuned for WCCW 01-14-84!