Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: December 10, 1983 (taped 11/24)
Hosted by Bill Mercer
Can Adams achieve glory by defeating Garvin for the American title? Will David succeed against the Ugandan giant? How will Kevin fare against Gordy? Plus, a BONUS MATCH! With all this, who will join me to bring you this historic episode?
Match 1: Kevin Von Erich versus Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy
- Gordy landed a big boot but missed a second one.
- Meanwhile, he crotched himself on the top rope. OUCH!
- Kevin then won a test-of-strength battle and dropkicked Gordy.
- When Kevin contemplated breaking Gordy’s thumb, he reconsidered and applied an Iron claw instead.
- Gordy escaped, but Kevin delivered a cross body block for 2.
- While the Dallas faithful chanted “go Kevin, go,” Gordy clotheslined their hero.
- He then guillotined Kevin with the top rope, but Kevin gave Gordy a taste of his own medicine.
- As he mounted the top turnbuckle, Kevin nailed Gordy.
- He then missed a dropkick, but Gordy also missed an oriental spike.
- After Kevin reapplied an Iron claw, Gordy tossed him over the top rope to the apron to escape.
- He then suplexed Kevin back into the ring, mounted the top turnbuckle, dove, but missed.
- When Kevin attempted a splash, he ate knees.
- Gordy then gave Kevin a cross corner whip but came up empty on his follow-through.
- As Kevin mounted the top turnbuckle, he hit another cross body block.
- Kevin won.
Summary: Solid match where each wrestler knew his opponent’s strengths and avoided them for the most part. Seeing Gordy on the top rope was a treat, but since that’s Kevin’s domain, Kevin succeeded where Gordy failed.
After the match, Buddy Roberts storms the ring, but Kevin intercepts and hammers him. Gordy recovers, grabs a cowboy boot, and WALLOPS Kevin in the back of the head with it. The Freebirds then double-team Kevin and try to break his right hand. How dastardly! Immediately, both Kerry and David hit the ring to chase off the Freebirds.
Following a commercial break, Mercer interviews David who threatens to claw Kamala.
Match 2: David Von Erich versus Kamala (w/ Gen. Skandor Akbar & Friday)
- David delivered a standing dropkick taking Kamala off his feet.
- As he followed with a knee lift, David hit a high knee to no effect.
- Kamala then chopped him so hard that David flew over the top rope to the concrete floor.
- While the Dallas faithful chanted “go David, go,” their hero was BUSTED OPEN.
- Kamala then splashed David for 2.
- When David rebounded with an Iron claw, he took Kamala down to the mat.
- With Kamala also BUSTED OPEN, David couldn’t get 3 thanks to Friday’s placement of Kamala’s leg on the bottom rope. SNEAKY!
- David then applied an Iron claw upon Friday until Akbar interrupted.
- After David popped him, he put an Iron claw on Akbar.
- Referee Bronko Lubich called for the bell, so David won by DQ.
Summary: As you’d expect this was more of a brawl than a wrestling match with the Dallas faithful firmly in David’s corner.
After the match, Kamala rescues his manager by chopping David. He and Akbar then double-team David until Kerry sprints to the ring to save him. When Kamala tries to slam him, Kerry escapes and slams the Ugandan giant. According to Mercer, Akbar owes Kerry $10,000 for doing so.
Following a commercial break, Mercer interviews Adams who’s confident Sunshine’s presence will be able to counteract Precious. Next, Mercer interviews Garvin with Precious. Garvin’s confidence reeks of his retaining the American title.
Match 3 for the NWA American title: “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin (w/ Precious) versus “Gentleman” Chris Adams (w/ Sunshine)
- Adams slammed Garvin, hooked an O’Connor roll, and got 2.
- ***THIS JUST IN*** “Nature Boy” Ric Flair regained the NWA World title from Harley Race and will defend it at Christmas Star Wars against David. Wow!
- In the meantime, Adams applied a cross arm breaker, gave Garvin a cross corner whip, and followed with a hip toss.
- When he gave Garvin another cross corner whip, Adams ate knee on his follow-through.
- He then escaped a rear chin lock by using momentum to send Garvin face-first into the top turnbuckle.
- As Adams leap-frogged him, he monkey-flipped Garvin.
- He then landed a superkick, but the momentum took Garvin between the ropes to the concrete floor.
- While Adams attempted to suplex Garvin back into the ring, Precious tripped him. Wicked!
- Although Garvin got only 2, Sunshine sauntered after Precious.
- Garvin then slammed Adams and tried to bounce off the ropes.
- Instead, Sunshine grabbed and scratched him.
- Adams then covered Garvin.
- WE HAVE A NEW CHAMPION!
Summary: Great story as the valet left for dead exacts her revenge by costing Garvin the American title.
After the match, Sunshine chases after Precious, but referee David Manning intervenes. That doesn’t bode well for Manning as Sunshine slaps the taste from his mouth. She might owe him an ice-cold Lone Star for that one.
TV Rating: NONE
BONUS MATCH (cage/loser leaves Texas): The “Modern Day Warrior” Kerry Von Erich (w/ Fritz Von Erich) versus Michael Hayes
- Joined in progress, Hayes pounded Kerry in the corner before getting some of his own medicine.
- Hayes then rammed Kerry face-first into the cage twice, unwrapped his knee, and choked him with the wrap.
- OK, Curt, but it’s not 1999 yet.
- As Kerry turned the tables with Hayes’ wrap, he rammed Hayes face-first into the cage.
- Hayes was BUSTED OPEN!
- At the five-minute mark, Hayes applied a sleeper.
- Kerry escaped, reversed an Irish whip, and hooked his own sleeper.
- When Hayes escaped, he delivered a bulldog.
- He then followed with an elbow drop and a fist drop for 2.
- After he suplexed Kerry, Hayes got another 2.
- He then piledrove Kerry but couldn’t get 3 due to Kerry’s foot on the bottom rope.
- Upon attempting another suplex, Hayes got reversed, and Kerry got 2.
- Gordy came to ringside to confront Fritz while a mid-ring collision occurred.
- As Roberts also hit the ring, he climbed the cage and tossed brass knuckles to Hayes.
- Kerry then ducked two knockout attempts by Hayes and hit a discus punch.
- In the meantime, Fritz slammed Gordy on the concrete floor.
- Roberts then climbed the cage again, crotched himself on it, and landed on the mat.
- When Kerry WALLOPED Hayes with the brass knuckles, he pinned Hayes.
- HAYES MUST LEAVE TEXAS!
Summary: Great way to settle a feud, but is it over?
After the match, Gordy pops Fritz and enters the cage. Kerry nails him with the knux, and Fritz slams the cage door on Gordy. AWESOME!
Conclusion: Sometimes the storybook ending needs to be predictable, and the Adams’ victory over Garvin with Sunshine’s help exemplifies the theory. In addition, David’s victory over Kamala leads to a HUGE date with Flair at Christmas. That ought to be incredible. Lastly, Kevin’s athleticism pays off against a tough Gordy on his way to victory. What are your thoughts, Mario?
Thanks for stopping by, Mario! My RSG-ites and I look forward to your being in home-entertainment systems soon.
Stay tuned for WCCW 12-17-83!