Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: November 5, 1983 (taped 10/21)
Hosted by Bill Mercer
Will the Freebirds get the better of Adams and Mantell? How will JYD fare against the Ugandan giant? Who will join me for the star-studded episode?
Thanks, Mama! What else do you have to add to this show?
Match 1: Blackie Gordman versus Mike Reed
- Reed gave Gordman a cross corner whip followed by a hip toss.
- When Reed missed a dropkick, Gordman worked on his left knee.
- He then delivered a knee lift, but Reed rebounded with a back drop.
- As Reed hit an elbow drop, he earned a 1-count.
- Gordman then kicked Reed in the midsection and delivered a DDT.
Summary: Showcase match for Gordman.
Match 2: Princess Victoria versus Judy Martin
- For those unaware, Princess Victoria was featured in the last episode of season one of Dark Side of the Ring. Needless to say, but she had a LOT of dirt on the Fabulous Moolah.
- Victoria slammed Martin but ate knees on a splash attempt.
- As Martin clotheslined her, she followed with a knee drop for 2.
- She then provided Victoria with a pair of hair mares and tossed her out of the ring.
- When Victoria used a series of Native American chops, Mercer informed us that she’s from Saskatoon.
- Victoria then delivered a flying chop for 2.
- After Victoria gave her a cross corner whip, Martin thwarted a monkey flip attempt.
- Victoria then ducked a clothesline and hit a cross body block.
- Victoria won.
Summary: If you’re a fan of today’s female wrestling, give these two women a big thank you for their efforts. The wrestling they performed may be extremely different from today’s product, but a concept like female wrestling needs to build its foundation and keep constructing, no?
Music video featuring Kevin Von Erich airs.
Match 3: Kamala (w/ Gen. Skandor Akbar & Friday) versus Junkyard Dog
- Great to see one of the biggest babyfaces from Mid-South in WCCW. In fact, the Dallas faithful was HOT for this match.
- Although Friday tried to distract referee David Manning, JYD applied a sleeper to Kamala.
- On the other hand, Kamala escaped and applied his own rest hold.
- When Kamala delivered a splash, he only got 2 thanks to a HUGE kick-out by JYD.
- Akbar then tripped JYD coming off the ropes, but JYD rebounded with a clothesline to Kamala.
- As Akbar got up on the apron, JYD unceremoniously dumped him into the ring.
- Friday also entered the ring, but JYD nailed him.
- After JYD turned his attention to Akbar, Manning called for the bell.
- JYD won by DQ.
Summary: If neither man was over, this would get nothing and like it.
After the match, Kamala and Akbar try to double-team JYD, but heel miscommunication ensues. JYD then nails Kamala sending him over the top rope to the floor.
Match 4: “Gentleman” Chris Adams & Johnny Mantell versus Michaels Hayes & Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy
- As Hayes baited Adams and Mantell to chase him, Gordy snuck up behind Mantell and applied an oriental spike.
- Adams saved Mantell from certain doom, yet Mantell laid injured on the floor.
- With the option of forfeit or handicap, Adams chose handicap.
- He then backdropped Hayes who scampered back to the heel corner in fear.
- When Hayes delivered a back elbow, Kevin came to ringside in his street clothes.
- While Gordy suplexed Adams for 2, Kevin removed his shirt in order to join Adams.
- Kevin tagged in to a LOUD pop and supplied the Freebirds with a double noggin knocker.
- After he hooked a sunset flip, Kevin pinned Hayes.
- Kevin and Adams won.
Summary: Kevin saves the day replacing Mantell, and the babyfaces achieve victory much to the delight of the Dallas faithful.
After the match, Gordy throws a hissy fit out of frustration.
Before the show ends, Mercer interviews the Freebirds in the ring. Gordy cuts a promo on Kevin for trying to break his thumb last week. Methinks someone’s gonna get a whuppin’.
Conclusion: Although the star power of the show was quite strong, the delivery broke under its own weight. If you’ve never seen Princess Victoria in the ring, then check it out. Otherwise, skip it. What are your thoughts, Mama?
Gladly, Mama. Thanks for pitching in!
TV Rating: NONE
Stay tuned for WCCW 11-12-83!