Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: August 6, 1983 (taped 07/29)
Hosted by Bill Mercer
Can the Freebirds with Garvin recapture the six-man titles? Will Mr. Ebony halt Parsons’ momentum? How will Adams fare against his nemesis Mongol? Also, who will stop by to capture more WCCW goodness with us tonight? Let’s find out!
To begin the show, we revisit the hair versus hair match between Parsons and Roberts. If you missed it, the match is included in my 6/25/83 reflection.
Next, Mercer interviews Adams at a soccer field. After he details how soccer players in England mature through the ranks, Adams cuts a promo on the NEW American champion–” Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin. Back on 7/25 in Fort Worth, Garvin defeated Kevin Von Erich to win the American title. We then get an exhibition of soccer by Adams with Jeff Bourne of the short-lived Dallas Americans.
Match 1: “Gentleman” Chris Adams versus Mongol (w/o Gen. Skandor Akbar)
- Mongol ambushed Adams at the onset and tossed him down to the floor.
- Yet another TV taping occurred, and the Dallas faithful continued to clamor for vegetable shortening.
- Adams then blocked a shot to the turnbuckle and rammed Mongol instead.
- When he mounted the top turnbuckle, Adams delivered a missile dropkick.
- He then hit a series of superkicks before tossing Mongol over the top rope to the floor.
- As a result, referee Bronko Lubich disqualified him.
- Mongol won.
Summary: I’m not sure if Petit knew how to wrestle. He used nothing but heel tactics to generate heat before Adams lost his temper and, consequently, the match.
Afterward, Adams delivers a tope suicida to Mongol causing him to hightail it back to the locker room. Please allow me to add another ½* for the post-match high-flying by Adams.
Match 2: “Iceman” King Parsons versus Mr. Ebony (w/o Gen. Skandor Akbar)
- While Ebony pounded Parsons down, Roberts came to ringside to distract his archenemy.
- The Dallas faithful then chanted “Bal-die” at Roberts when their nemesis got up on the apron.
- As Parsons booted Roberts down to the floor, he delivered a butt-butt to Ebony.
- Parsons won.
Summary: More storyline than match as you will see.
After the match, Roberts enters the ring to attack Parsons. He and Ebony double-team Parsons while the Dallas faithful cry for Bruiser Brody’s involvement. While Parsons dropkicks Ebony down to the floor, Roberts gets the heck outta Dodge to save himself from harm’s way.
Mercer then interviews Parsons at ringside who despite beating Ebony wants to face him one more time.
Match 3 for the WCCW World Six-Man tag team titles: David, Kerry, & Kevin Von Erich (champions) versus NWA American champion “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin, Michael Hayes, & Buddy Roberts (w/ Sunshine)
- Roberts tagged in, but David delivered a knee lift.
- When Kerry tagged in, the Von Erichs triple-dropkicked Roberts.
- Kevin tagged in, mounted the top turnbuckle, and lowered the boom on Roberts.
- As Kevin hip-tossed Roberts, Garvin tagged in and gave Kevin a cross corner whip.
- Garvin then ate a mule kick during his follow-through, and Hayes tagged in.
- After tags were exchanged on both sides, Kerry hit a back elbow to Garvin.
- Roberts tagged in, but Kerry provided him with an elbow drop followed by a knee drop.
- When Hayes distracted David Von Erich along with referee David Manning, Garvin came in and clobbered Kerry. SNEAKY!
- With Kerry on the apron, Roberts suplexed him back into the ring for 2.
- Hayes tagged in and delivered a back elbow to Kerry.
- As Garvin tagged in, he hit a knee drop and got another 2.
- He then missed a second knee drop allowing the tag to David.
- After David gave Garvin a cross corner whip, he missed a high knee on his follow-through.
- Roberts tagged in, and a mid-ring collision occurred.
- When tags were exchanged on both sides again, Kevin hit an elbow drop to Garvin.
- With all six wrestlers in the ring, Garvin delivered a belly-to-back suplex to Kerry.
- Kevin then mounted the top turnbuckle and hit a cross body block to Garvin.
- The Von Erich retained.
Summary: Another HOT main event between the Von Erichs and Freebirds with the babyfaces going over much to the delight of the Dallas faithful.
Following a commercial break, Mercer interviews Hayes and Roberts in the ring. Hayes doesn’t want to besmirch Garvin, but “he’s no Terry ‘Bam Bam’ Gordy.” OUCH!
Conclusion: Great show as Adams, Parsons, and the Von Erichs prevail keeping the territory hotter than a firecracker on the 4th of July. David, do you concur?
Thanks, David. Let’s dance!
TV Rating: NONE
Stay tuned for WCCW 08-13-83!