Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: March 19, 1983 (taped 03/04)
Hosted by Bill Mercer
Can the “Gorgeous” one dethrone David for the Texas title? Will Roberts derail the newcomer? Who in the blue hell is the Texan? Also, who will co-host this reflection with me?
Don’t worry, Linda, er, I mean Christine.
Match 1: “Wild” Bill Irwin versus the Texan
- For those unaware, the Texan was portrayed by non-Texan Jake Roberts under a very tight mask.
- The Texan reversed an Irish whip and placed a knee into Irwin’s midsection.
- When Irwin countered a side head lock with an atomic drop, the Texan blocked it.
- The Texan then delivered his own atomic drop, yet the Dallas faithful remained nonplussed.
- As Irwin hit a running stomp, he got 2.
- The Texan then blocked a suplex and hit a short-arm clothesline for 2.
- After he landed a few blows, the Texan earned another 2-count.
- He then applied an extremely BORING hammerlock until he shot the half for a third 2-count.
- When Irwin escaped, he destroyed the Texan with a bicycle kick.
- With one minute left, the Texan countered a back drop with a knee lift.
- Irwin then spilled down to the floor, re-entered the ring via sunset flip, but only got 2.
- At the 9:45 minute mark, the Texan rolled up Irwin.
- The Texan won.
- UPSET CITY!
Summary: Although I’m certain the Dallas faithful cheered the Texan going over Irwin, the snarky part of me wonders if they were clapping that the match was over. Is that the phone I hear?
Match 2: “Iceman” King Parsons versus Buddy Roberts (w/ Michael Hayes)
- Before the match began, Hayes grabbed the microphone to clarify his position as Roberts’ second tonight. Parsons rebutted with a slap to Hayes’ face.
- Roberts immediately attacked Parsons and reversed an Irish whip.
- As Parsons retaliated with a butt butt, he pinned Roberts.
- Parsons won.
Summary: Good ladder-climbing victory by Parsons who thrilled the Dallas faithful with a quick upset over Roberts.
After the match, Roberts finally removes his pink jacket. Gordy arrives to console his brothers while the Dallas faithful chants “go home, Freebirds.”
Mercer then interviews an excessively perturbed Hayes who threatens to stage a sit-down until Parsons returns. Next, Gordy stands up for Roberts against Parsons’ supposed shenanigans. Roberts then calls Mercer “fact-face” while the Dallas faithful begins to cheer. Alongside Kerry, Kevin, and David, Parsons chases the Freebirds away. Have I expressed how OVER the Freebirds are as heels?
At David’s ranch, Mercer interviews David who’s celebrating a new foal. Regarding the upcoming challenge by Garvin, David’s “got his hands full.” He’s also ready for the World title someday.
Match 3: King Kong Bundy (w/o Skandor Akbar) versus Mike Bond
- Bundy slammed Bond while Mercer promotes the upcoming additions to Devastation, Inc.
- When he delivered a knee drop, Bundy got 2.
- He then hit a back elbow and tortures not only Bond but also me with a rear chin lock.
- As Bond gave Bundy a cross corner whip, he followed with a knee to Bundy’s ample midsection.
- Bundy then gave Bond a cross corner whip, but Bond climbed to the bottom turnbuckle and attempted a cross body block.
- After Bundy caught him, he guillotined Bond with the top rope.
- He then delivered a running knee drop and pinned Bond.
Summary: Showcase match for Bundy.
After the match, Mercer interviews Bundy at ringside. Bundy’s ready for Devastation, Inc. to destroy Hussein’s “little two-bit organization and will face the Great Yatsu next week. Meanwhile, the Dallas faithful showers him with “Bundy is a pig” chant.
Match 4 for the NWA Texas title: David Von Erich (champion) versus “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin (w/ Sunshine)
- While the Dallas faithful chanted “go David, go,” Garvin clotheslined David for 2.
- David then applied an Iron claw, but Garvin escaped.
- As David attempted a high knee, Garvin evaded him. That sent David reeling over the top rope to the floor.
- Upon David’s return, Garvin delivered a brainbuster.
- WE HAVE A NEW CHAMPION!
Summary: According to Mercer, the brainbuster is illegal. I’m surprised referee David Manning’s decision stands.
Following a commercial break, Mercer interviews the NEW Texas champion Garvin with Sunshine at the broadcast table. They revisit the brainbuster which Garvin refers to as “bombs away” and NOT a brainbuster.
Conclusion: Historical episode with the Garvin victory. Also, the Parsons alignment with the Von Erichsadds another ingredient to an already scorching feud. Lastly, the Texan’s upset set a good tone for the show. Um, Christine, what did you think of the show?
TV Rating: NONE
Stay tuned for WCCW 03-26-83!