Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: October 30, 1982 (taped 10/26)
Hosted by Bill Mercer & Jay Saldi
A work stoppage in pro wrestling? Who orchestrates it? Also, the Freebirds make their WCCW tag team debut. Let’s see who’s awesome enough to assist me?
Mona, don’t you worry. We’re not doing anything illegal here.
To open the show, Bundy joins the broadcast team and claims to be on strike against H&H Limited. He states that he’s not received what he deserves, and Gary Hart will have to replace him in his scheduled matches.
Match 1: Magic Dragon (w/ Arman Hussein) versus the Samoan
- While Dragon had Hussein in his corner, Samoan brought a boa constrictor with him. **WARNING** For the ophidiophobes out there, ignore the picture below.
- Samoan delivered a head butt for 2.
- When the audio of the broadcasters became somewhat garbled, Samoan leap-frogged and dropkicked Dragon for another 2.
- He then delivered a double sledge but couldn’t get 3.
- As he gave Dragon a cross corner whip, Samoan came up empty on his follow-through.
- Dragon then backflipped off the top turnbuckle and followed with a head butt to the midsection. Watch out! He’s changing his move set.
- After he slammed Samoan, Dragon mounted the second turnbuckle and hit a somersault senton.
- Dragon won.
Summary: Showcase match for Dragon.
Match 2: Checkmate (w/ Arman Hussein) versus Raul Castro
- Checkmate hooked a cradle and got 2.
- As he delivered a knee lift, Checkmate escaped a full nelson and hit a mule kick.
- He then played possum, and Castro became completely befuddled.
- When he guillotined Castro with the top rope, Checkmate played possum again.
- He then rammed Castro’s leg against the apron twice before hooking a twisting step-over toe hold.
- Checkmate won.
Summary: Showcase match for Checkmate with a unique pinning hold.
Bundy rejoins the broadcast table smoking a cigar and reiterates that he’s on strike. Meanwhile, Hart rebuts with Bundy’s ascension as a wrestler because of H&H Limited. Neither side backs down, so we’ll have to wait to see what happens going forward.
Match 3: Gran Markus II (w/ Arman Hussein) versus Jose Lothario
- Mercer mentioned Lothario’s previous feud with the original Gran Markus. Here’s a glimpse into that story.
- When Lothario backdropped him, he outsmarted Markus with a series of arm drags.
- He then placed Markus atop the top turnbuckle and dragged him down to the mat.
- As he mounted the top turnbuckle, Lothario delivered another arm drag followed by a headscissors.
- Markus then charged at Lothario but got backdropped over the top rope to the floor.
- Consequently, Markus won by DQ.
Summary: If you want to know where Shawn Michaels learned how to wrestle, look no further than this match. Lothario showed fire that I hadn’t seen before in his matches in WCCW and bestowed Michaels with this type of talent.
Match 4 (non-title): NWA American tag champion “Wild” Bill Irwin & Destroyer #1 versus the Fabulous Freebirds
- This match marks the WCCW debut of Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy.
- Since Bundy’s on strike, Destroyer substituted for him. Destroyer may or may not have been Irwin’s brother Scott.
- Irwin attempted to hip-toss him, but Hayes blocked it and delivered one of his own.
- As Gordy tagged in, Irwin leap-frogged him twice but got stomped on a monkey-flip attempt.
- Shortly after, Hayes mounted the second turnbuckle and lowered the boom on Destroyer.
- Gordy then leap-frogged Destroyer and hooked a sunset flip for a 1-count.
- When Irwin tagged in, he attempted to suplex him, but Gordy blocked and suplexed Irwin instead for 2.
- Hayes tagged in, but Irwin placed him atop the top turnbuckle.
- After Hayes blocked a right hand, he hit a flying elbow smash to Irwin.
- Gordy tagged in, and the Freebirds delivered a double back elbow to Irwin.
- As Hayes tagged in, the Freebirds unleashed a double dropkick upon Irwin for 2. Wow!
- Hayes then reversed a cross corner whip but ate boot on his follow-through.
- When Irwin guillotined him on the top rope, he tagged in Destroyer.
- Irwin tagged back in and hit a bicycle kick to Hayes for 2.
- After Hayes rebounded with a knee lift, he succumbed to a gutwrench suplex from Irwin.
- Hot tag Gordy.
- As Gordy quickly dispatched the heels, Hayes tagged in.
- The Freebirds then delivered a DEVASTATING back drop/piledriver combo to Destroyer.
- GET OUT THE SPATULA!
- The Freebirds won.
Summary: Hot tag match that followed the formula and kept the Dallas faithful going crazy. Aside from Kerry/Race and Kerry/Flair, this is one of the best matches for WCCW in 1982.
Before the show leaves the air, Mercer and Saldi interview Irwin with Bundy. Irwin congratulates the Freebirds on their victory but states that he didn’t have his usual partner. According to him, it’ll be different next time. Bundy then cuts a promo on the Freebirds. Mercer and Saldi then interview Kevin Von Erich who allegedly plugs rockstargary.com.
Conclusion: If WCCW wants more butts in seats, bringing in the Freebirds will be the breath of fresh air they’re seeking. By the way, the audio for this show can be challenging, so I hope you’re up to the task.
Thank you kindly for the offer, Mona, but I’m a happily-married man. Perhaps some of my readers will take you up on that offer, right, guys?
TV Rating: NONE
Stay tuned for WCCW 11-06-82!