SMOKY MOUNTAIN WRESTLING TV – SEPTEMBER 26TH, 1992
– Last week on SMW TV… Tim Horner defeated the Dirty White Boy in a Non-Title Match, Jimmy Golden and Robert Fuller cost the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express their chance at the Heavenly Bodies’ Tag Team Championship, “Primetime” Brian Lee was attacked, again, by the Mongolian Mauler, and Paul Orndorff has promised to stick a bunch of people, including Brian Lee, who has a $10,000 bounty over his head.
– Taped from the Pikeville College Gym in Pikeville, KY, with Bob Caudle and “Dirty” Dutch Mantell calling the action unless otherwise noted. This week, The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express and Killer Kyle will be in action. We have more “disturbing and distressing” news about the bounty on Brian Lee, including a tape of a NEW STALKER. Speaking of Brian Lee, he faces Paul Orndorff in today’s Main Event for the $10,000 Bounty, and on Down and Dirty with Dutch, this week’s guests will be the Stud Stable.
– The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express vs. Mike Sampson & Robbie Eagle:
After failing to win the Tag Team Titles last week, revenge against the Stud Stable must be on the minds of Ricky and Robert. Morton starts with Sampson. Whip to the ropes and Morton with a clothesline. Fist to the midsection and Gibson with the running knee lift. Gibson with a slam and jumping knee drop for two. Gibson boots Eagle and the Express hit him with a double elbow. Gibson with a whip and back drop as Caudle announces Commissioner Armstrong has new information on the Brian Lee saga. Morton with a rolling cradle for two. Crisscross and Morton with a hip toss. Whip and a double dropkick finishes Eagle at 2:32. That was the most one-sided squash I’ve seen from the RNR Express since reforming the team in SMW.
– Bob Caudle is standing by with the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express. Gibson mumbles through his lines to the point I gave up trying to catch what he was throwing. Morton says nobody is taking them out on a stretcher, and they promise an eye for an eye. Jim Cornette can cry all he wants, but he promises they’ll take the Tag Team Titles home, because rock n’ roll is here to stay, and they aren’t here to play.
– Bob Caudle is standing by with Commissioner Bob Armstrong. In addition to what happened last week, we have footage from another attack and a new stalker, interrupting a 6-Man Tag (Lee, Dixie, and Horner vs Heavenly Bodies and Kyle). Fans of the AWA and WCW might recognize him as the Night Stalker (Bryan Clarke). At least he has a much better physique than the Mongolian Mauler. Armstrong lets us know he has a new letter. The writer warns Armstrong he has many followers and offers Brian Lee a contract to seal his fate. Armstrong finally announces the name of the 1st attacker and calls him both the Mongolian Mauler and Stomper. Armstrong says he’ll let Lee face the Mauler in the ring.
– Phil Raney is standing by to hype a card coming to Evarts, KY on October 10th. The Stud Stable will face The Fantastics, “Primetime” Brian Lee meets The Mongolian Mauler in a $10,000 Bounty Match, The Dirty White Boy defends the SMW Heavyweight Title against Tim Horner, and The Heavenly Bodies defend the Tag Team Titles against The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express.
– Killer Kyle (w/ Jim Cornette) vs. Newton Steffey:
Dutch Mantell continues to run with the fake backstory of Steffey being the Canadian Champion from when he was “rewarded” a title match against the Dirty White Boy several weeks ago. Kyle has one of Brian Lee’s “Wanted” posters taped to his violin case. Cornette asks the audience “what’s it like to be on food stamps?” Steffey goes for the arm, but Kyle shrugs him off and casually boots him across the face. Kyle with a slam and leg drop. Cornette joins the commentary to talk about how someone having a grudge against Armstrong is a great thing. Kyle claws at the face of Steffey and hits him with a diving forearm. He teases tossing Steffey into the front row, but referee Mark Curtis talks him into keeping it in the ring. Whip and Kyle with the spine-buster. The Super Heimlich Maneuver finishes a 4:05. That submission looks dumb, he’s better off with the spine-buster as his go-to finisher. Kyle pulled Steffey up no-less than 4-times before going for the victory.
– Bob Caudle is standing by with Jim Cornette and SMW Tag Team Champions, The Heavenly Bodies. Stan Lane says people are sick degenerates and knowing he could suffer permanent brain damage from loud noise, the fans continue to make loud noises. Prichard threatens all the women in the Smoky Mountain area with a sexual harassment lawsuit. Cornette says since 1984, everyone knows he’s hated the guts of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express. It doesn’t matter if it’s the Midnight Express or Heavenly Bodies, and he’ll hold things up in court to block the RNR Express getting another shot at their titles.
– “Down & Dirty with Dutch” with guests Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden. We see the closing moments of last week’s match between the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express and Heavenly Bodies, when the Stud Stable cost the RNR Express the Tag Team Titles. Fuller says they were watching the match and drawn in by the action. Gibson was a clumsy bastard that fell over the ropes, and probably on drugs. He runs down drug abusing rock ‘n’ roll bands like Aerosmith and Guns ‘n’ Roses, comparing them to Morton and Gibson. Golden says drug and alcohol will do you no good when you step in the ring with the Stud Stable, because they’ll have you leaving on your back on the stretcher.
– Bob Caudle is standing by with Mr. Ron Wright. He says Horner still hounds him, more than any bill collectors have in his life. Wright says he hasn’t promised Horner a title match, and says he’s lying through his teeth suggesting otherwise. Tim Horner interrupts with his side of the story and demands a contract. Wright doesn’t have a contract, but he does have arthritis. The Dirty White Boy comes from behind, smacking Horner across the back with a chair, then slams his face into the desk of Caudle and Mantell. White Boy handcuffs Horner and starts slapping him around. He wraps a noose around Horner’s neck, drags him to the ring, and hangs him across the top rope. Robbie Eagle and Ben Jordan try to save, unsuccessfully. Horner starts bleeding from the mouth. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express, Dixie Dy-No-Mite, and Danny Davis finally come out to chase the White Boy away. After weeks of Horner’s bravado, it finally caught up to him.
– Commissioner Bob Armstrong is standing by, announcing that Tim Horner can have as many title matches as he wants until he wins the belt.
– Ronnie Garvin with a pre-tape promo on Paul Orndorff. He’s still upset over “Paula” disrespecting him by tearing up one of his towels. He doesn’t know if it’ll be Orndorff’s false teeth or underwear, but he’s taking something.
– $10,000 Bounty Match: “Primetime” Brian Lee vs. “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff:
It’s a rematch from the SMW Heavyweight Title Tournament Finals at Volunteer Slam. Orndorff immediately puts the boots to Lee after a chant of “Paula” is started. Lee blocks being sent to the turnbuckle and gives Orndorff a taste of the pads instead. Lee with a slam, sending Orndorff to the floor for a (long) breather. Lee decks Orndorff on the apron, fed up with all the stalling. Back inside, Lee works the arm. Whip to the ropes and Lee with a shoulder tackle. Orndorff catches Lee with a drop toe hold, but Lee slides out of a headlock and goes back to the arm. Orndorff sidesteps another charge, sending Lee to the floor. He brings Lee back in from the apron with a clothesline and drops an elbow across the chest. Whip and Orndorff with a clothesline. Orndorff climbs the ropes and meets the knees on the way down. Lee with a flurry of right hands, followed by a power-slam. Lee climbs the ropes and misses a flying elbow drop. Orndorff bails to grab the ring bell. Finally, something to imply he’s collecting the bounty on Lee. He teases a piledriver on the bell but Lee counters with a back drop. Referee Mark Curtis calls for the bell at 8:38, awarding the match to Lee by Disqualification. As if we should’ve expected anything else. Not much to this one, with lots of stalling and very little action before the non-finish. ¾*
– Phil Raney hypes the card in Evarts, KY on October 10th.
– Bob Caudle is standing by with Brian Lee. When you come at Brian Lee, you’re getting 10-grand worth of butt-whooping.
Final Thoughts: The biggest moment of the week is the White Boy lynching Horner after weeks of challenges. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express are obviously groomed for a big run against The Heavenly Bodies, as we’ve seen very little of The Fantastics since they dropped the titles. The arrival of a new stalker and a challenge issued by the man putting the bounty on Lee means we’ll have a big reveal sooner than later. Unfortunately, the Garvin/Orndorff rivalry continues, now over personal property being disrespected. The wrestling wasn’t the best this week, but we’re chugging along like a train with all the top angles.