Besides the Uncensored debacles WCW produced each March from 1995-2000, they also made a few trips down to Panama City Beach, Florida for an annual spring break episode of Nitro at Club La Vela.
The Spring Break Nitro that I found the most entertaining occurred in 1998. Let’s run down the results:
- Bill Goldberg pinned Lodi (w/ the Flock).
- Ultimo Dragon defeated Fit Finley.
- Scott “Flash” Norton (w/ Buff Bagwell) pinned “Gentleman” Chris Adams.
- The “British Bulldog” Davey Boy Smith & Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart beat Mike Enos & Wayne Bloom.
- Raven defeated the “Crippler” Chris Benoit.
- The Cat pinned Yugi Nagata (w/ Sonny Onoo)
- Scott Steiner defeated Ray Traylor
- Booker T successfully defended the World TV title against Chavo Guerrero, Jr.
- US Champion Diamond Dallas Page beat Reese
- Juventud Guerrera defeated “Lionheart” Chris Jericho by DQ.
- The “Total Package” Lex Luger & Sting beat Hollywood Hogan & “Macho Man” Randy Savage (w/ Eric Bischoff, Elizabeth, and the Disciple)
So what’s so fascinating about that? Well, three things:
- Despite of being clotheslined into the pool, a drenched Scott Steiner won with the Steiner Recliner.
- In what can be described as a sad moment yet somewhat funny segment, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash were trashed beyond belief and cut a promo on the Giant. Speaking of the Giant, he came out, caused Nash to perform a cannonball into the pool, and gorilla press slammed Hall into it too.
- Since the event took place outdoors, there were no rafters from which World Champion Sting could descend. Instead, Sting rappelled from a helicopter down to the ring.
So where did it lead: Unfortunately for Sting, it led to losing the World title at Spring Stampede the following month, but it certainly helped WCW in the ratings. Nitro achieved an unopposed 5.1 rating that evening.
What do you think of our favorite amateur daredevil Sting’s entrance on Nitro? How about Nash’s cannonball? Or WCW events at Club La Vela in general?
Please be sure to check out all of my reflections at rockstargary.com.