Now that the calendar has been changed to the month of December, let’s reflect upon Starrcade from the Turner era and begin with Starrcade ’88.
On the day after Christmas (Monday) in 1988, WCW held its annual supershow in the Scope in Norfolk, VA. Here are the results:
- The Varsity Club (“Dr. Death” Steve Williams & Kevin Sullivan) defeated the Fantastics for the US tag team titles.
- The Midnight Express (w/ Jim Cornette) beat the Original Midnight Express (w/ Paul E. Dangerously).
- The Russian Assassins (w/ Paul Jones) defeated Ivan Koloff & the Junkyard Dog (substituting for Nikita Koloff).
- Rick Steiner won the World TV title by pinning Mike Rotunda (w/ Kevin Sullivan).
- Barry Windham (w/ James J. Dillon) retained the US title against Bam Bam Bigelow.
- The “American Dream” Dusty Rhodes & Sting beat the Road Warriors (w/ Paul Ellering) by disqualification.
- “Nature Boy” Ric Flair (w/ James J. Dillon) retained the NWA World title by pinning the “Total Package” Lex Luger.
Notes from the show:
- While Cornette’s Midnight Express won, Dangerously’s Express attacked them afterwards.
- Nikita Koloff took a sabbatical from wrestling on 11/27/1988 due to his wife Mandy’s suffering from Hodgkin’s disease.
- Dusty Rhodes was fired by WCW after this show due to this angle.
- Once again, Luger choked in his quest to become champion. Flair cut one heck of a promo against him here.
What are your thoughts? If you’ve not seen the show, fire up the WWE Network and enjoy!
Be sure to catch all of my reflections at rockstargary.com.