I just watched the AJ vs Nakamura match from last year’s WrestleKingdom and it’s pretty awesome
Nakamura is awesome. AJ is awesome. Together they’re super awesome.
A few questions about them, the match, and Japan in general:
1) How many *s do you rate this match?
****3/4 I think. I’d have to watch it again but that’s what I recall thinking when I first saw it.
2) This should totally be the next WM main event. When you get that kind of heat for the staredown at MITB, you know it’s gonna be great. Are they building to WM? If not, what are they building to for them?
They don’t even know what they’re building to for Summerslam at this point. I seriously doubt Vince has any solid idea of where they’re going for WM.
3) Nakamura’s "antics" and mannerisms seem to me to be very un-Japan-like, in that most Japanese wrestlers I’ve seen are very business-like, have very basic entrances etc. Did Nak have heat in Japan for doing this kind of stuff? In general how did all this go over with the other wrestlers, the fans and the promoters?
Nakamura was treated like a rock star in Japan because he was DIFFERENT. He was considered a prodigy who was pushed from the day he debuted, so he definitely didn’t have heat.
4) What took so long for AJ to get to WWE?
He preferred the idea of a stable income for his family while working close to home. However, as I understand it, once he became a big star in New Japan and could secure a big enough deal in WWE, he wanted to basically cash in for his future while he still could.
5) I actually enjoyed Matt Striker on commentary here. Why did WWE get rid of him?
Because he was the worst! The Dino Bravo of commentators.