I’m actually still avoiding Takeover spoilers so I’m not scrolling down to that section of the Observer, but here’s Meltzer’s ratings for Money in the Bank, which was supposed to run a lean 3.5 hours and ended up going 4:15 instead. Given that they actually cut the RAW tag title match to save time, that’s pretty astonishing on their part.
To the review!
- Harper & Rowan beat Anderson & Gallows to retain the Smackdown tag titles with the powerbomb in 7:35. **
- Daniel Bryan beat Big Cass with the heel hook to end the program in 15:17. **3/4
- Bobby Lashley pinned Sami Zayn in 6:34. “Served no purpose.” *1/4
- Seth Rollins beat Elias to retain the IC title in 16:59. Dave thinks people will look back at the “we are scumbags” chants years later and cringe. ***1/2
- Alexa Bliss won Money in the Bank in 18:24. Dave loved the match. ****
- Roman Reigns pinned Jinder Mahal in 15:39. Crowd made it their mission to ruin the match and a lot of wrestlers were really upset with the disrespect shown by the crowd. They worked hard despite that. **1/2
- Carmella beat Asuka to retain the Women’s title in 11:03. Asuka sold too much, especially for Carmella. The Ellsworth thing got a big pop because the crowd desperately wanted something newsworthy. *1/2
- AJ Styles beat Nakamura to retain the WWE Title in the Last Man Standing match. Felt like a long Japan match where it’s missing the mark for the first 27:00 for whatever reason. However, the last few minutes were the hottest and best thing on the show. ****
- Ronda Rousey beat Nia Jax in 11:05 by DQ, then Bliss cashed in and won the title in 0:31. Way better than expected. ***1/2
- Braun Strowman won Money in the Bank in 19:54. They’re really pushing Braun v. Brock, so expect Roman to finally win and then Braun to cash in on him immediately afterwards to send the crowd home happy. ****1/4