It’s the beginning of a new era. The era of the WARRIORS.
I skipped March of 1990 as there wasn’t any new developments and it would be a wasted post here. We continue with April of 1990.
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Hulk Hogan)
At WrestleMania VI on April 1st, the WWF World Championship would change hands when the Ultimate Warrior was able to pin Hulk Hogan after avoiding a leg drop and hitting a big splash. This would mark the end of Hogan’s reign, which had been going on since WrestleMania V.
Hogan was one day away from holding the championship for one full calendar year.
Warrior’s first challenger looks to be Rick Rude. If you recall, Rude was able to beat Warrior at WrestleMania V for the WWF Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania V, but would lose to Warrior at SummerSlam 1989 in a rematch.
Rude was confident that Warrior’s days as champion were numbered and he also aired his training as he was punching a bag that had Warrior’s face air brushed on it.
On the house show market, Warrior would defend the championship against Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase (in Japan), and Mr. Perfect. Warrior would defend the WWF World Championship at SNME #26 and would successfully pin Haku to retain the championship.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Ultimate Warrior)
Since Warrior won the WWF World Championship, he decided to vacate the WWF Intercontinental Championship. Jack Tunney decided to create a tournament to crown a new champion. Here is the tournament matches that occurred during the month. Tito Santana defeated Akeem by count-out, Mr. Perfect defeated Jimmy Snuka, Brutus Beefcake fought Dino Bravo to a double count-out and Roddy Piper fought Rick Martel to a double disqualification.
That would leave Mr. Perfect to wrestle Tito Santana in the finals of the tournament. At the April 23rd, 1990 WWF Superstars taping, Mr. Perfect won the championship after pinning Tito Santana with a roll up.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Andre the Giant & Haku)
Demolition was able to regain the WWF World Tag Team Championships at WrestleMania VI. After losing the titles, Haku and Heenan tried to turn on Andre, but Andre held his own and left the ring alone. As for Demolition, they would work the house show market against the Hart Foundation. They would also attack The Hart Foundation and the Rockers during their match at the SNME #26 event. It appeared that Demolition had new challengers in the Hart Foundation.
– At the April 3rd taping of Wrestling Challenge, a program between Jake Roberts and Bad News Brown appeared to begin. During an interview segment, Brown opened a gift which had a snake inside and he was startled by it.
– Ted DiBiase made it clear that he was out to get revenge on the Big Bossman for turning on him. He made progress in getting his payback by attacking Bossman at SNME #26. DiBiase handcuffed Bossman to the ropes and got some shots in. However, Bossman would break free and chase DiBiase away.
– The feud between Dusty Rhodes and Randy Savage continued after WrestleMania. During the April 4th taping of Superstars, Randy Savage and Sherri attacked Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire. Sherri ended up forcing Sapphire to kiss Savage’s feet to embarrass her.
– Since he was attacked by Earthquake at WrestleMania, Jim Duggan announced that he was going to get payback for the attack.
– Hulk Hogan rebounded from losing the WWF World Championship at WrestleMania by beating Mr. Perfect at SNME #26. On the house show market, Hogan would mainly wrestle Earthquake and defeat him by disqualification.
– Dustin Rhodes made his WWF debut during the April 24th taping of Wrestling Challenge competing in a dark match.
– The Warlord and the Barbarian appear to be getting big pushes as unstoppable forces in the WWF. This could be an attempt to give the Ultimate Warrior a few more heels to work with later on in the year.
WWF WrestleMania VI Results: (non-title matches)
– Rick Martel defeated Koko B. Ware
– Earthquake defeated Hercules
– Brutus Beefcake defeated Mr. Perfect
– Roddy Piper fought Bad News Brown to a double count-out
– Hart Foundation defeated Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov
– The Barbarian defeated Tito Santana
– Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire defeated Randy Savage & Sensational Sherri
– The Orient Express defeated The Rockers by count-out
– Jim Duggan defeated Dino Bravo
– Ted DiBiase defeated Jake Roberts by count-out
– The Big Bossman defeated Akeem
– Rick Rude defeated Jimmy Snuka
WWF Saturday Night’s Main Event #26 Results:
– Hulk Hogan defeated Mr. Perfect
– Earthquake defeated Hillbilly Jim
– Hart Foundation wrestled the Rockers to a double disqualification
– WWF World Champion Ultimate Warrior defeated Haku
– Big Bossman defeated Akeem by disqualification
WrestleMania VI: 550,000
SNME #26: N/A
What are your memories of the WWF at this time? Leave your comments below!